Scuba Refresher Course
- Training materials are designed so that you can study the academics at your own pace when it’s convenient for you. Please enquire about online study options.
- Please start with your course material well in advance to give you enough time to read through and complete theory prior to our pool refresher session.
- Estimated time to complete online theory is about one hour of home study.
- The in store academic session comprises of approximately 1 hour. This time is dedicated to assisting with any theory questions followed by a kit up session.
- The pool session takes ± 2 hours and will be booked on commencement of your course, normally on a Saturday or Sunday.
- Optional Open Water (sea) dive (highly recommended) to be determined and booked after successful completion of the pool session assessments (additional fees applicable).
- Proof of scuba diver certification.
- Proof of last logged dive (up to date logbook).
- A medical statement by a licensed physician, dated within the last 12 months, stating that you are medically fit to scuba dive.
- Recent ID photo (required for training record).
- Full payment required before commencement of course.
Aim of the Course:
- Alpha Dive Centre’s aim is to train students according to standards set by the relevant international training organisation and to maintain a level of safety and communication between the student and instructor.
- Review the knowledge you learnt during your initial training, this will include, basic recreational dive table knowledge, dive planning, problem management, safe diving practices, practice fundamental skills in the pool, breathing at depth.
- You will be required to provide your own basic snorkelling equipment, soft gear (minimum snorkel, mask, fins and booties). Gloves are recommended.
- If you are planning to purchase any equipment before the course, it would be advised to obtain advice from your instructor first.
- We strongly recommend own wetsuit and weight system.
Confined Water (Pool) Session:
Confined water training consists of 1 session during which a number of required scuba skills are demonstrated by the instructor or dive master. The student must show mastery of these skills, some of these skills are:
- Equipment assembly, adjustment, preparation, donning, disassembly
- Pre-dive safety check
- Deep water entry
- Buoyancy check and neutral buoyancy
- Snorkel / regulator exchanges
- Five point descent
- Regulator recovery
- Mask removal, replacement and clearing
- Air depletion exercise and alternate air source use
- Free flow regulator breathing
- Fin pivot (neutral buoyancy)
- Five point ascent
- Remove and replace weight system on surface
- Controlled emergency swimming ascent
- Hover (neutral buoyancy)
- Underwater swim without a mask
- Remove and replace weight system underwater
- Remove and replace scuba unit underwater
- Remove and replace scuba unit on the surface
Open Water Sea Dive (Optional):
- This optional sea dive is highly recommended.
- Emphasis on donning and adjusting equipment along with buoyancy control.
- Practical application of the skills taught in confined water will be briefed, executed and applied.
- Additional fees applicable.
- Please remember that transport and charter fees are not included.
Refresher Course: R1 150*
- SSI online profile
- Knowledge assessment session and tuition fees
- Confined Water session
- Scuba set & cylinder hire
- Official logged scuba review session
- Student folder
- Dive professional
- Diving medical examination by a licensed physician (if older than 12 months since last examination)
- Public pool entry fees, if applicable
- MPA permit (can be obtained at the Post Office)
*Please refer to our refresher course policy document